2010-05-10

On Photography and the Web

This is just a bit of a rant because I need to vent.
Let it be said that I am a photographer who had created a website from basic html code and was formerly quite happy to use Microsoft's browser and programs for those things that they USED to do well. :(

Bigger
The only reason I had left to use Internet Explorer as a web browser was because I could edit the html code directly in Notepad using the 'view source' command. This was the old version of Internet Explorer that comes on my disc.
Since I've decided to play it safe and enable automatic updates Internet Explorer got updated and I can no longer use the 'view source' to edit my code. A MAJOR MISTAKE ON MICROSOFT'S PART WAS TO ALIENATE SOME OF IT'S LAST FANS BY ROBBING US OF THAT FUNCTION. NOW I HAVE TO USE ANOTHER EDITOR BECAUSE NOTEBOOK ITSELF IS SUCH A USELESS LITTLE PIECE OF GARBAGE WITHOUT BIG BROTHER IE TO BOSS AROUND.
This is why I've been delayed on updating my website. Now might be a good time to mention what all goes into an update:
1/ Sorting the latest batch of photos and making thumbnail versions (a subject unto itself that would include tweaks and copyright info)
2/ Writing up the new pages that correspond to the new photos- not too tough; mostly copy/paste. This could actually be the biggest step depending on how much additional info goes onto each page.
3/ Creating the new archive at the Evil Site that is Photobucket- while still free, I don't recommend it to anyone- I have to be very careful when I upload that I don't inadvertently hit an ad!
4/ Upload the new pages to the server with an FTP program.
5/ Check all new pages and make corrections where necessary- really the most tedious thing.
6/ Back it all up- 3 times.
I'M GOING TO REITERATE MY DISGUST, DISAPPOINTMENT, AND DISDAIN FOR MICROSOFT BECAUSE OF THEIR DISABLING THE EDITING FUNCTION WITHIN IE. Why did they do this??? It was the most wonderful of conveniences to write code that could immediately be updated with a 'save' and 'refresh' command. GONE NOW! And the thing is you can't downgrade IE so what's the point in even having it on the computer anymore???

No comments: