2009-11-03

Shaw and Star Trek

I don’t know what’s up with Shaw these days.
We have had terrible internet connection speeds for a month or so now, they slipped up on their initial appointment but credited us for it, then after the tech guy did finally do a check-up and found nothing wrong (last week) the speed dropped even more…until a few hours ago when, by some odd coincidence, I happened to be on the page that advertises Shaw’s internet connection Speed Test.
I left the speed test ( which said I had a download speed of just under a megabyte per?…it took about 2 minutes to finish the test and when I came back to run it again it finished in about 15 seconds. A few more kbs to it’s credit but after I exited the page everything started to download like it had before we ever had the problem.
I was getting pretty angry about this considering we pay for the privilege of high speed and weren’t getting it for quite a while- I think there was or is something going on that they are not telling us about and even though I’m happy that things are back to normal I am having doubts about the service- why can’t they inform people in an e-mail that there will be issues?
Anyways, I’m writing today to share some art- more Star Trek stuff!
Here is a link to my web page as opposed to Deviant Art for those of you who would like to see more Star Trek stuff without having to wade through DA.
I’m trying to expand my style of drawing to include more colour ( with pencil crayon mostly ) and pen and ink as well:

Big view at DA
Marc Alaimo at IMD
Gul Dukat- my favorite villain of all the series done in pen and ink over a rather sloppy original drawing and then had a bit of blue colour washed over it. I am still surprised at how well it turned out.

Big view at DA
Nichelle Nichols at IMD
Uhura from the original series- I like the right side of the drawing better than the left which looks somewhat out of focus ( her expression ). This is really the first portrait I’ve done on coloured paper with pencil crayon that didn’t just start out as a sketch that went remarkably well. I was committed to it in other words and despite certain disappointments I consider it a good first attempt.

Big view at DA
Ricardo Montalban at IMD
Khan from the O.S. A lot of preparation went into Khan and then I decided to use a different picture from the ones I originally sketched from. A lot went wrong with this but I consider the resemblance to be good so whatever may be horrid in technique I managed to achieve a likeness which was always an issue for me.
Feel free to comment since honesty is appreciated not to mention the time taken to do so.
One of these days I would like to go to a Star Trek convention/event- preferably one that has the DS9 cast and Shatner and Nimoy in attendance!

No comments: